Saturday, November 25, 2006

EPILOGUE (for MANAGEMENT OF COMMON UROLOGICAL PROBLEMS)

EPILOGUE (for MANAGEMENT OF COMMON UROLOGICAL PROBLEMS)

I feel very privileged to have practiced medicine for so many years. Gratifying, satisfying, rewarding are words which describe my experience. Referrals from other physicians presented me with an opportunity of sharing my medical philosophy with these physicians. I have found over the years that injecting a bit of humor into my letters was much appreciated by the physicians and perhaps even more so by their office staff. Indeed, very often I received referrals directly from the staff, who confessed to me later that their primary motivation for the referral (with tongue in cheek?) was to get my referral letter!

I realize that not everyone will agree with my management of certain medical problems. But I want to make a plea that physicians remain open to the individual needs of their patients as they guide them in their medical dilemmas--and help them evaluate the numerous diagnostic and therapeutic options available for most medical problems. We must try to achieve the optimal approach for that individual person.

No comments: